Monday, May 11, 2015

Adventure Blog 3: Own The Change?

During my second adventure at the Food Chains screening there was an announcement for another screening and discussion event. The description sounded interesting so I decided to go back to Red Emma's on February 25th for a screening of a short film called Own the Change. (See flyer below)



 The film was very interesting an gave me a sense of what it means to be a worker cooperative in addition to the several other types of cooperatives that could exist. After the film they opened up the little back room that Jazmin talks about in her oral history for a Q&A about Red Emma's. The Q&A covered topics like the history, hiring model, pitfalls, and benefits of becoming a part of workers cooperative like Red Emma's. This was informative as well, but it began to lean more towards joining Red Emma's worker co-operative, and I'm definitely not in a point my life where I'd be able to join they're worker co-op. I feel like on some level it takes a certain collection of circumstances and traits to be able to commit yourself to their co-op model. Which would also help in understanding why it seems like they only hire their friends as employees, from the way that the process of becoming partial owner of the business is set up you'd pretty much have to like the other workers enough to want to spend a large indefinite amount of time working with them.


After the Q&A discussion I decided that I’d stay for a bit to eat dinner and do some work. I ordered a vegan turkey club that I was feeling a little apprehensive about, but the first bite was so delicious that had to stop and snap a picture for this blog post.  


No comments:

Post a Comment