Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Thoughts on Week 2


The presentation from Linda Shopes gave me a greater sense of the variations between oral histories and regular interviews. I found Shopes’ elaboration on what made good questions when conducting oral histories to be very helpful. While Linda Shopes was speaking I kept envisioning oral historians as special ops history detectives. The readings on Baltimore ‘68 helped solidify my understanding of using oral histories to piece together the past. For my project I think that collecting oral histories on a green space or a local environmental event would be interesting, and could lead to a community positive project with a green theme.  For my research project finding a way to share whatever oral histories are collected with the area youth/ incorporating them in some way would be ideal.  

I feel that one of the best ways to preserve something is to educate the younger generations.  So maybe for the subtitle we could do something along the lines of  "Connecting the Past to the Present”?

No comments:

Post a Comment