Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The First Days of AMST422: Preserving Places, Making Spaces in Baltimore



I really appreciate that the theme of this project is to assist the community in expressing their own history and identity. This is a motif that resonates with me and I feel like this would be a great introduction into community development.  
While I’m eager to dive in and begin to craft our ideas into something tangible I am also feeling great a deal of hesitation, because outside of what I have recently read I can’t say that I know enough about this area yet.  

Personally I think it would be interesting to do some research on how the “green spaces” of Baybrook- from farm land, to community gardens- have changed over the years. In class turning trash into art was brought up a couple of times and that idea stuck with me, especially with the possible construction of that incinerator looming ahead. Project wise I would love to work with the youth of the community on some kind of “trash into art” community garden project.

Other than that I don’t really know where I want to start but I’m looking forward to going out there to talk to people and see what we can offer them.  
Overall I have to say that course tops my list of classes that I am excited to be a part of, and I can’t wait to see our project get off the ground.  

No comments:

Post a Comment